Tuesday, December 31, 2013

By the Plumas County Museum

 I don't usually pay much attention to plants 'installed' by people, but on a winter walk through downtown Quincy, some of them stand out to be noticed.  Most of the annual nursery-bred flowers in people's gardens became soil months ago, but around the museum, where the flowers are irrigated during the summer, certain things persist into and through the winter.  The above skeleton is of some type of lily.  It was actually growing just outside the fence, between the sidewalk and the foundation of the fence around the museum property.  The thin basal leaves of the lily were still green, and they looked a bit like a Hyacinth I remember growing in the museum's flower beds during the summer.  Maybe this was an escapee.
 This birch looks like the same species I have i my front yard, but maybe not.  This one bears an abundance of catkins compared to my birches, and they are bigger and fresher looking than mine.  Maybe it has to do with more sun exposure combined with the summer irrigation. 
If I remember correctly, from the leaves and flowers I saw during the summer, this bush might be some sort of currant.  Very noticeable color.  I saw this batch of berries when I was still a block away.

No comments:

Post a Comment