Sunday, December 1, 2013

Made It to December!

 On my way to early morning coffee shop chatter around 6:55 a.m., I decided to check on the California Black Oak by the driveway.  Sure enough, there was still a cluster of Oak Treehoppers.  They were totally immobilized by the sub-freezing temperature - or dead.  On a whim, I grabbed an old coffee cup from the van and brought one of the group with me to the cafe.  I dumped her out on a napkin and waited.  It was a half hour before I could detect some leg twitching - what a relief that she hasn't discovered twerking!
 When she seemed to be about as warmed up as she would get, she spread her wings slightly and began walking around on the napkin.  I'd estimate her maximum speed at 1" per minute.  No inclination to hop like they do when confronted during peak season.  A number of natural history questions passed through my mind as I watched while eating a biscuit.  I didn't have my camera with me, so how did I get these shots?
I brought her home in the cup, then gave her a new napkin.  Our oak dining room table, visible in this last photo, has a similar look to the ones at Patti's Thunder.  I could have passed off this series as having been photographed at the cafe - but there were witnesses.  She's now back on the oak tree where I found her, and will probably end her season as she was destined to in the first place.  I hope that hour or so of roaming a table in a warm cafe was pleasant for her.  And, I hope she laid lots of eggs last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment