Thursday, May 1, 2014

Our "Wild" Campus

 If the truth be known, our campus is pretty well groomed. More like a country club than a wild forest. One has to search for hidden little spots of unconquered nature.  That's what I did this afternoon.  After a little gentle bushwhacking through young White Alder trees, thistles, and willows, I came across a large area of Wild Ginger leaves.  Since I'd been to this spot in years past, I knew I'd find lots of blossoms hiding beneath the leaves.  In the above photo, there are at least a dozen blossoms beneath the leaves.  In the photo below, I have pushed some leaves aside to reveal a blossom.  These places are usually shady, so the lighting isn't the greatest for photography.  I'll visit this spot often, so long as the blossoms last, and keep on searching for the ideal photo.  These little flowers are elegant.
 Even the lawns around campus, just before they're mowed, contain lots of tiny wildflowers.  Today, right near the cafeteria, I found large numbers of Thyme-leaved Speedwell.  The ones in these photos are only 3 or 4 inches tall, well camouflaged in the grass.  They'll get mowed soon, so enjoy while you can.

 Along one of the creeks bordering the campus there are some shady areas that are still supporting lots of blooming Woodland Star (below), a member of the Saxifrage family.
I still have more photos from today's meander around campus, and also some more from last Monday's trip through Feather River Canyon.  I expect to have more time tomorrow to post my findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment