Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Fungi Are Erupting

 This impressive fungus has erupted in five places so far, all within a five-foot radius of the one pictured above.  The cap on this one, the largest, measures around 9" in diameter.
 I sneaked a peek at this next one when I saw a mound of pine needles a few feet away from the first. I scraped away a little of the cover and saw that another large one was on the way to the surface.

Here's today's work (below) piled at the edge of my parking space.  I took the photo early in the morning.  The pile is nearly gone now.  I've split and stacked on my deck around 1 1/2 cords.  3 1/2 to go.  So far, the wood is nearly free of beetle larvae and other creatures.  That's both good and bad.  Good because I won't be bringing beetles into the house.  Bad, because I miss the adventure of finding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment