Saturday, March 28, 2015

Making Lawns More Interesting

 I've never cared for monocultures whether they be the creation of industrial-scale agriculture or the typical suburban lawn.  I know the importance of biodiversity, but here I'm thinking in terms of aesthetics.  I find large expanses of lawn boring.  So, when Feather River Colleges large expanses of the green stuff get punctuated by outbreaks of Filaree, Henbit Dead Nettle (above and below) and various tiny wildflowers I haven't yet identified, I get excited and bring my camera and field guides to work every day.
 This patch of small white blossoms is in one of the irrigation ditches on campus - actually, not an irrigation ditch but a tamed creek. It might be Meadow Foam.  Not sure yet.  Will have to add copies of Jepson and Munz to my travel bag.
 This last photo I call Feral Violets.  There's a smattering of them in the lawns between the buildings on the upper campus.  I don't think they're a wild species.  At least I haven't found them in my field guides.  I think they're escapees from a landscaping project.
In yesterday's post, I featured yellow blossoms on campus.  I should add that the Shelton's Violets and Pine Violets are getting more plentiful, and the next few weeks should be great for spring wildflowers.  It's time for the arrival of the lilioids.

No comments:

Post a Comment