Thursday, May 21, 2015

2nd Orchid of the Season!

The Spotted Coralroot, Corallorhiza maculata, is the second orchid I've spotted blooming the season.  The first was the Mountain Lady's-slippers, Cypripedium montanum, that's been around for a couple of weeks now.  There could be many other orchids blooming around the county, such as the California Lady's Slippers down on the Caribou Road.  But, my driving range is rather limited these days to American Valley and vicinity, so I get excited about each new species blooming.
We've some pretty good rain this past week and more is expected.  That makes me think of all the seeds that have postponed germinating that might now be giving the season a second thought.  June could be a great month of delayed gratification for wildflower aficionados.
I took the above photo this afternoon on a deer trail in the dark forest above the FRC main parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment