Friday, October 16, 2015

The Scene - and then there were none

 This is the first time I've posted to this blog from a coffee shop.  I'm spoiled.  The Internet here is soooo fast.  A couple of days ago I checked on the Oak Treehoppers in my favorite California Black Oak on the FRC campus.  I usually post only close-ups, but today I thought I'd start with a photo that shows the scene where they live.  You can see how easy it would be to enjoy fall colors for years and never know these little beauties exist.  But when you come up close, you see wonders.  They're less
than a half inch long.  Click on each photo for a better idea of what they look like. Turns out the next day they were gone.  Likewise, the little colony on the biggest oak by my driveway disappeared on the same day.  I wonder if they sense the big winter we've been promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment