Thursday, June 16, 2016

Out with the old....

 At Butterfly Valley Botanical Area, the main attraction for most people is the blooming Pitcher Plants, Darlingtonia californica, and they are truly impressive, many blooming on top of stems reaching 2 feet or more above the surrounding grasses and shorter flowers.  But early this morning, I was impressed by the translucent leaves in the early morning light.  The above photo shows last season's leaf (r) and the current season's (l).  Will post my blooming flowers of this plant later today.
I was actually leaving the meadow in my truck when I saw this Pine Drops, Pterospora andromodea, glowing beneath tall pines and firs.  Same situation - last year's dried stems on the right and this year's brightly colored fresh stems in full flower on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment