Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Second Half

Found this half-poppy at a trailhead in a local undeveloped development.  I hope it remains undeveloped, but as I wandered around I wondered what sort of "vision" was operating here.  A vision of wonderful human habitat, or just money in the bank.  Maybe there are other visions possible here, but I couldn't help but see it as a reduction in the wild, and that always makes me sad. 
On a more positive note, I wondered about the first half.  The half that is now rapidly on its way to becoming soil, but which, earlier in the season, experienced a variety of insect and spider visitors, a variety of weather conditions, and had the fun of opening and closing every 24 hours.  As we approach what the humans might call the "off" season for poppies, i was thinking that to any living thing that is truly alive, there is no such thing as an off season.

No comments:

Post a Comment