Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Bad Days for Landscape Photography

 I've never been attracted to landscape photography, partly due to the fact that my uncorrected distance vision is not great.  Also, I enjoy crawling around on the ground and looking at details of plant and animal life close up.  But during these fiery days, I thought I'd take a couple of shots of the view from the airport of where I live at the base of Boyle Ravine.  Not much to see besides smoke.
 I then headed for work at the college.  On the way there, I stopped at a spot just past the Spanish Creek crossing on Highway 70 where I enjoy the view of Spanish Peak and Mount Pleasant.  As you can see, the mountains were not visible.  So, I reverted to my favorite photography habit, finding interesting things close to the ground.  The Chicory (below) looked healthier than ever, despite being surrounded by vegetation that is drying up and adding the the fear of wildfires.
 When I got to the FRC parking lot, I was still in close-up mode, so I enjoyed seeing the fresh crop of acorns on my favorite California Black Oak in this area.  It's the one on which I've often photographed the Oak Treehoppers in the Fall.  I'll undoubtedly be on the lookout for them again in September. So far, the fire has not hopped over Claremont Ridge toward Boyle Ravine, but I hear it is moving into the Mill Creek watershed in East Quincy. Let's all hope for the best, and be thankful for all these visiting firefighters.

No comments:

Post a Comment